Posted to alt.home.repair
Speedy Jim Speedy Jim is offline

Default Beckett Oil Burner Problem

Dave wrote:

Ok, I have a very strange scenario that I'm hoping someone here can
help me out with. I have a Beckett AFG that won't stay running. It
ignites perfectly, I've got good flame, but it shuts off about 20-30
seconds after running. So far, I've replaced the ignition transformer,
primary control, nozzle, electrodes, and oil pump. I have a friend who
works on commercial boilers who has been trying to help me and he can't
figure it out either. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Put a pressure gauge on the pump.
Watch what happens as the thing shuts down.
IOW, is it loss of pressure causing the flame-out.
If it's single-pipe system, small air leaks can raise havoc.
Ditto for clogged line/filter/tank pickup.

If you don't mind the flack on here, bypass the primary
as a test to tell you whether the control is shutting
it off (sensing problem) or the flame is dying for
some other reason.

Jim