Ken Finney

Default Oil Filter Study

"Charles A. Sherwood" wrote in message
Consumers Union (pub. of Consumer's Reports) did a test of a bunch of
popular oil brands a LONG time ago, like 30 years. It was VERY

The brand I used most was Shell Fire and Ice,
which was the cheapest of the 3 that showed best in the tests.

I remember a test in the mid 80s. My friend was using shell
fire and ice and had 130k on his mustang. The values needed
work but the low end was fine. I am pretty sure that CR
rated shell fire and ice poorly at that time. Our conclusion
was that regular oil changes were vital, but the oil brand
didn't matter too much because he was using the worst oil
according to CR.

chuck

If memory serves, it was 1986. On the oils, they said they
had never tested any product where EVERY manufacturer's
product failed to meet the specs. But they said that Castrol
came the closest. (IIRC, none of the 10-40s were actually
10-40, but one or two of the staight 30 weight did meet spec).

On oil filters, they said Fram was the best. But then Fram
changed their design.