Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd Mark Lloyd is offline

Default Cooktop Wiring

On 9 Nov 2006 16:58:43 -0800, "Olyman"
wrote:

I want to wire a new Jenn Air Radiant downdraft cooktop. The wire from
the breaker only has three wires (Black,White, and Copper).

240V wiring is supposed to have black and red. I suppose that
electrician used what he had. It's that way in my house too. Just make
sure the wires are big enough. If you want to be more correct, you
could put a bit of red tape around that wire.

I checked
the Black and White which were both "hot'.

[But need to be opposite phases (240V [not 0V] between them).

The directions say I need a
3 wire 120/240volt circuit). The cooktop has three wires in the
connection box - balck, red, and white ( No copper). Do I connect the
Black and Red wires from the cooktop to the balck and white "hot" wires
form the breaker.? What do do with the white from the cooktop and the
copper from the breaker? Thanks

Connect the white wire from the cooktop to the bare wire. Make sure
ground is connected to neutral on the cooktop. This'll work, but there
may be some rule about not using a bare wire as a current-carrying
conductor.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"God was invented by man for a reason, that
reason is no longer applicable."