Posted to alt.home.repair
Viewer Viewer is offline

Default Combination Fan Switch

Hi Joe,

Yes, you can. I did it at my house and its fairly easy. You are correct
that you should be using 14-3 as you need the two seperately switched
hots (1 for light, 1 for fan). Also you will need two half-height
switches so that you can have 2 switches in 1 wall box. It gets a bit
cramped in th ebox but patience pprevails.

I did 2 and the first (including running the wiring in the walls and up
to the ceiling too about 3 hous and the second time it took barely an
hour.

Good luck!

Joe wrote:
Hi:

Can I replace a single switch that's currently controlling a
receptacle, with a combination fan/light switch to use for a new
ceiling fan?
I want to run 14-3 for a new ceiling fan installation to the current
switch, make the current switched outlet always hot and replace the
switch with a combination switch.
My main question is, can this combination switch be used from one hot
wire that was used in the single switch and it will control the light
and fan separately?

THANKS in advance for any help!!!!