Charles A. Sherwood

Default Oil Filter Study

Consumers Union (pub. of Consumer's Reports) did a test of a bunch of
popular oil brands a LONG time ago, like 30 years. It was VERY

The brand I used most was Shell Fire and Ice,
which was the cheapest of the 3 that showed best in the tests.

I remember a test in the mid 80s. My friend was using shell
fire and ice and had 130k on his mustang. The values needed
work but the low end was fine. I am pretty sure that CR
rated shell fire and ice poorly at that time. Our conclusion
was that regular oil changes were vital, but the oil brand
didn't matter too much because he was using the worst oil
according to CR.

chuck