Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] kellyj00@gmail.com is offline

Default Grounded outlet

actually, dying on the way to the supermarket would be much greater...
I've never heard of a power supply shorting to the case of a computer,
although, if it did... and you were able to complete the circuit
somehow (assuming it didn't blow it's internal fuse, or your breaker)
you would die as the amperage is definitely enough to stop your
heart.... but you are definitely more likely to get run over, struck by
lightening or stoned to death by angry union workers walking to the
market.

Back to your original question, I have run all kinds of computer
equipment on non-grounded outlets...In fact, I had to rip the third
prong off my old APC surge protector about 5 years ago when I moved
into a rental with only two prong outlets, so technically all my
equipment was un-grounded until I recently bought a surge protector
from walmart for $25 (sales are great)

Speaking of that $25 surge protector, it has a "grounded" indicator...
that obviously isn't glowing "ON" as my outlets aren't grounded (I'm
lazy, and my insurance is paid up). I have no idea how a ground
indicator works, but I guess surge protectors are starting to be smart
enough to know when their owners are cheating them out of an earth
ground for their precious little circuits.

Grounding my outlets (I own quite a bit of electronic equipment, btw)
is on the bottom of my to-do list. And, as far as static is
concerned... I've been in IT for years, around a lot of delicate
computer chips and servers....and not once have I experienced any sort
of problem with static, and I've never cared to use a wrist strap or
any of those other gizmos. But this is my experience and as soon as I
burn out a stick of memory by rubbing my feet on the carpet I'll listen
to yours. ;-)

Jason Kelly
Valley Center, KS