geoff merryweather

Default portable welder

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 13:27:44 GMT, PhysicsGenius
wrote:

Some others were saying that I wouldn't get a safe/effective weld (for
my current application) with the welder I linked to. Would these
heavier duty ones do the job?

Having more current makes them a lot better to use. Duty cycle is
still a bit low on some of them, but it depends on what you are doing.
More current means you can use bigger rods (faster and more
penetration) and th duty cycle at the lower settings is usually higher
than a small welder at the same setting.
Second hand stick welders are common and cheap and run forever. With
next to no moving parts (usually 2 wheels...) there is nothing to go
wrong. Have a look at the local free-ad papers, auctions, etc. The big
constraint is power - do you have 220V. 115V welders are a bit of a
waste of time, unless you have no option.
Geoff