Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Gas pipe tightening question from a newbie

In article ,
Smarty wrote:
Thanks Lawrence,

Now I wonder if tape is a better choice than the goopy joint pipe dope I was
thinking of using?????

Smarty

There's almost some religious wars with the tape vs dope thing, really
either is fine. Don't get the wrong impression from what some of the
other posters have said here; pipe dope or pipe tape serves as a
lubricant to allow the pipe threads to be turned together properly.
The threaded end of iron pipe is also tapered, that's why it gets so
much harder to turn the further it is tightened. It is indeed the
threads that seal the pipe joint, but you can't count on a sound, non
leaking joint without _both_ using dope or tape, _and_ torquing the
pipe threads adequately.

If you do decide to use pipe tape, make sure you get some that is
rated for gas. It is usually yellow instead of white, and if your work
is being inspected that's what the inspector will likely check for.

--
Often wrong, never in doubt.

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore, Maryland -