Posted to rec.woodworking
tom tom is offline

Default Unusual experience in my workshop

For those occasions, my wife put 911 on the speed dialer. It's now #38.
Tom
Allen Roy wrote:
It takes time to get over any type of accident. 5-6 years ago I was
starting a bathroom remodel while my wife and daughter went out of town for
a week. After gutting the bathroom. I grabbed my Makita recip saw to start
cutting the rough opening of the new window. Now the saw was fairly new and
was only used for small stuff before this. When I got about 3 ft into the
cut the shaft on the saw broke. A quick trip to Lowe's to exchange it and I
was back in business.

The saw cut the sides without a problem then as I was near finishing
cutting the top the shaft broke again. However this time it broke a little
further down. I didn't have time to let go as the shaft caught the sides of
the saw and exploded ( not literally but went into a zillion pieces) sent a
nice size piece of it into my hand. After a trip to the ER and OR I have a
nice little reminder in the palm of my hand as to why you should wear
leather gloves while using a recip saw. It took me quite awhile before I
could handle a saw without my shirt becoming soaked.

Allen

"Mekon" wrote in message
I walked in today after coming back from a New Zealand holiday and saw my
TS
and felt a little nervous. The last time I used it I cut 2 fingers and
gouged a hole in my thumbprint. I think I came close to losing my left
finger, a few mil to the right and I would have.
I know what I did wrong, I know how to avoid it happening again, I know I
will be more careful, and yet still I am a bit anxious. Could I be losing
my
nerve? Will I get over it?

Mekon