Jon Elson

Default Oil Filter Study

Gunner wrote:

Russ Knize, the author of that site, has begun an informal comparison
of 20 different oil filters used on Ford 5.0 liter and Chrysler 2.2
and 2.5 liter engines. He meticulously disassembles the filters and

Thanks for this great link! Very interesting reading.

Consumers Union (pub. of Consumer's Reports) did a test of a bunch of
popular oil brands a LONG time ago, like 30 years. It was VERY
interesting, also. They showed 3 brands that had very good anti-friction
properties, and then all the rest were very poor. I just sort of ignored
it until I warped the head on my 76 Vega, and had my VERY OWN oil testing
machine. Whenever it was heat-soaked, the cam bearings (I'm guessing)
would break down and get metal to metal contact until cool oil was brought
in to cool it down. This made a distinctive rubbing sound. I quickly
ran out and got one of the oils that came out on top of the CU tests,
and it completely solved the problem. Whenever I heard that sound, I
knew it was time for an oil change, too.

Does anyone know if there are more current oil tests anywhere?
My very crude methods absolutely confirmed what CU showed in their
reports, so I became a believer that there really is a difference
in major brand oils. The brand I used most was Shell Fire and Ice,
which was the cheapest of the 3 that showed best in the tests.

Thanks,

Jon