Posted to chi.general,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Default Buying a kitchen sink faucet in Chicago?

"Dave" wrote in message
ps.com...
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a Moen single handle faucet with the spray in the center. The
single handle has broken off twice but it is an easy repair. The big
problem is with the chrome plate which has started to peel off the
plastic faucet. This is often sharp and has cut several hands. I file
the edges off from time to time. I believe this would be a problem with
most brands since they are all chrome plated plastic these days. Stay
away from chrome, pay the slightly extra price for stainless steel.
Dave

Which parts of your faucet are plastic?

I went with Moen for two more faucets, after a good experience with their
customer service. The plastic dip tube in my water heater was defective.
It
was deteriorating and sending plastic crumbs into the pipes. The plumber
who
repaired it suggested that I check the internals of all the faucets,
because
the crumbs had a tendency to lodge themselves in small places and cause
trouble.

In order to be prepared ahead of time in case I needed parts, I went to
the
Moen site and emailed them for the correct cartridge model number for my
shower faucet. The email page requested name, address & phone number.
Instead of emailing a response, I got a phone call. The person gave me
the
part number, but said they were shipping a new one for free. I explained
that the problem had nothing to do with their product, and that I didn't
expect anything for free. She said she wanted to save me the trouble of
actually finding the part. It was shipped UPS 2nd day air.

I haven't had problems with the chrome on any of their products. Have you
called them about it?

The whole faucet is chrome plated plastic. The internal valves
themselves might be brass but evrything else is plastic coated with a
thin layer of chrome that eventually begins to peel off.
Dave

That's weird. All 3 of mine are metal, except for the side mounted sprayer
on the kitchen setup. That's the newest faucet, about 1 year old. I wonder
if they make different product lines (like other manufacturers do) for
different kinds of dealers.