Posted to alt.home.repair
BobK207 BobK207 is offline

Default Gas pipe tightening question from a newbie

Stormin Mormon wrote:
More text inserted.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Smarty" wrote in message
Thanks very much Bob. I probably should have asked this question
first:

How much tightening is normally applied for doing gas pipe? My
wrenches are,
at most, 12 or 14 inches long. And the pipe is mostly 1", with a few
feet of
3/4 inch at the appliance (generator).
CY: First wrap the male fitting with teflon tape. Then apply
Rectorseal #5 (the ugly yellow stuff) to the male threads only. Don't
put it inside the inner threads. Use a couple of 18 inch wrenches, or
get a set at Harbor Fright, and use the 18 and 24.

Do I torque things down to the point
where the male threads bottom in the fittings?
CY: Yes!!!

I understand that dope / tape
does the sealing job, but I have not a clue as to what the correct way
is to
tighten gas pipe joints.
CY: The threads are tapered, so you have some forgiveness, as to how
tight.

Your reply sounds like I maybe should be using a
longer wrench and a lot of muscle.
CY: Very much yes!!

Smarty

"Bob F" wrote in message
. ..
I watched the gas companys contractors install gas pipe
for a furnace and watet heater. They used pipe dope and
overtightened everything. They really reefed on the wrench
as they tightened each joint.

You could pressure test each section as you go. Pressurize
with air, and check for leaks with soap water.

Bob

CY-

Do I torque things down to the point
where the male threads bottom in the fittings?
CY: Yes!!!

I don't think this is correct...the joint should be leak free way
before the male thread bottoms in the fitting

I do agree with your other suggestions...12 to 14" wrenches are a
little smal for 3/4 & 1" joints

cheers
Bob