Posted to alt.home.repair
James \Cubby\ Culbertson James \Cubby\ Culbertson is offline

Default Gas pipe tightening question from a newbie

"Smarty" wrote in message
Thanks very much Bob. I probably should have asked this question first:

How much tightening is normally applied for doing gas pipe? My wrenches
are, at most, 12 or 14 inches long. And the pipe is mostly 1", with a few
feet of 3/4 inch at the appliance (generator). Do I torque things down to
the point where the male threads bottom in the fittings? I understand that
dope / tape does the sealing job, but I have not a clue as to what the
correct way is to tighten gas pipe joints. Your reply sounds like I maybe
should be using a longer wrench and a lot of muscle.

I'm no expert on gas piping although I've done a bit of it myself. I
always tighten it down just as tight as I can. I use the pipe dope
specifically for gas.
I was always taught that the dope/tape actually doesn't do the sealing
although it helps. It's actually more of a lubricant so you can get those
pipes nice and tight. Not sure if this applies to black pipe.
Cheers,
cc