Posted to alt.home.repair
Big Al Big Al is offline

Default Need Side Terminal Auto Battery tap

"Eric in North TX" wrote in message
oups.com...

On my '65 GTO which presented a cranking challenge, I put a ford
solenoid on the fender and simply bridged the terminals at the starter.
There is a kit for that, or you can do it with a little thought.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/webapp/wcs/...alogId =10101

This amazes me. What possible gain is there for using this kit? Had a 460
Ford some years ago that came from the factory with a GM style starter. It
had a link jumping the large stud to the small one, and a solenoid mounted
on the fender well. I removed the remote solenoid and the link on the
starter, ran the small wire to the starter. Worked fine. I think with the
Ford the solenoid was already designed in the wire harness for smaller
engines and they just took the least complicated way out.

Al