Posted to alt.home.repair
Smarty Smarty is offline

Default Gas pipe tightening question from a newbie

May be time for me to invest in an air compressor. Wonder if bubble / leak
testing can be reliably accomplished with a cheap pump of some type?

"Bob F" wrote in message
. ..
I watched the gas companys contractors install gas pipe
for a furnace and watet heater. They used pipe dope and
overtightened everything. They really reefed on the wrench
as they tightened each joint.

You could pressure test each section as you go. Pressurize
with air, and check for leaks with soap water.

Bob

"Smarty" wrote in message
Thanks Lawrence,

Now I wonder if tape is a better choice than the goopy joint pipe dope I

was
thinking of using?????

Smarty

"Lawrence" wrote in message
ups.com...

Smarty wrote:
At risk of sounding like a total novice (which I am)....I would very

much
appreciate guidance regarding tightening gas pipe and connections:

Specifically........if a run of gas pipe is put together, in this case
roughly 65 feet total, with about 15 fittings along the way, and the
finished piping shows leaks in one or more joints once the line is
pressurized, how is tightening best accomplished?

Since you are a newbie don't be surprised if you have to take it apart
and start over. At least your pipe is all threaded and correctly
sized.

Tightening the pipe is not the solution to avoiding or correcting
leaks. You should be using pipe tape which is wrapped aroung the
thread on the male end . It is this tape which prevents the pipe from
leaking not tightening it more or less.

So if you use the tape correctly you will have far fewer worries since
the tape that does the job not the threads on the pipe. You cant be
too safe when installing a gas line so be sure to double check each
joint before leaving the gas on.