Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Default Cooktop Wiring

It'll work

"Olyman" wrote in message
oups.com...
Would be OK to temporarly connect the white (I assume common) wire from
the cooktop to the copper ground wire until I can get an electrician
out to run a new conductor?

RBM (remove this) wrote:
You don't have what the manufacturer requires. You need a three conductor
with ground to feed it. The metal flex on the cooktop will be grounded by
the bare wire in the cable. The neutral and two hots get connected color
for
color

"Olyman" wrote in message
oups.com...
I want to wire a new Jenn Air Radiant downdraft cooktop. The wire from
the breaker only has three wires (Black,White, and Copper). I checked
the Black and White which were both "hot'. The directions say I need a
3 wire 120/240volt circuit). The cooktop has three wires in the
connection box - balck, red, and white ( No copper). Do I connect the
Black and Red wires from the cooktop to the balck and white "hot" wires
form the breaker.? What do do with the white from the cooktop and the
copper from the breaker? Thanks