Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural,alt.politics,alt.california,chi.general
Rudy Canoza Rudy Canoza is offline

Default How Real Americans Can Compete with "Hard Workin" Day Labor

trent wrote:
wrote:
trent wrote:
Leif Erikson wrote:

THE unemployment rate (called 'the headline number' in the monthly
survey) does NOT count everyone- only those who "had made specific
efforts to find employement sometime during the 4-week period ending
with the reference week." It does not count the number of people
without jobs.
Right, and rightly so. Not everyone without a job is looking for work.

Say you graduate high school and look for a full-time job for the
summer. You don't find one. During the summer, you'd be counted as
unemployed. At the end of the summer, your wise parents admonition
that you need more education finally sinks in, and you enroll in
community college as a full-time student. Are you unemployed? ****,
no!
If I was really smart I'd still be in school. Never. Leave. College.

trent

Why would Brent even consider the unemployment rate? He refuses to
acknowledge that economic data, like national debt, only has relevance
when compared to other relevant data, like the size of the economy or
ability to service debt. Last time I checked the unemployment rate is
a measure of the number of unemployed vs the total pool of emplouable
workers. Following his logic, he should be just whining that there
are X million of folks unemployed and that it's very, very bad, cause
it's a lot higher than it was 100 years ago.

You should check again, maybe with the BLS.

Check what? That there are more people unemployed now
than 100 years ago? There undoubtedly are.