Posted to alt.home.repair
Smarty Smarty is offline

Default Gas pipe tightening question from a newbie

At risk of sounding like a total novice (which I am)....I would very much
appreciate guidance regarding tightening gas pipe and connections:

Specifically........if a run of gas pipe is put together, in this case
roughly 65 feet total, with about 15 fittings along the way, and the
finished piping shows leaks in one or more joints once the line is
pressurized, how is tightening best accomplished?

Since rotating a pipe with a wrench to tighten it in a fitting at one end
simultaneously causes the other end of the pipe to now rotate out of the
joint at the other end, perhaps starting a leak there, it seems like there
is no obvious way to tighten a leaking joint without risking another leak.

The alternative, taking the whole thing apart down to the leaking joint and
then rebuilding the entire remaining run also does not seem a like a smart
or efficient method.

It is tempting to "overtighten" each joint initially, on the theory that
backing off on one connection at a leaking end will still keep the opposite
end of the pipe firmly connected after rotating the pipe. This may be the
correct method, but I have not seen or heard this approach suggested.

Most of the couplings, elbows, and unions I have seen appear to accept at
least a couple full (360 degree rotations) before they snug up.

I thought about putting unions all over the place so that each segment could
be independently tightened. I have not seen professionals use this approach,
so I am guessing this is not a great solution.....

Thanks in advance for any ideas. I am totally clueless..

Smarty (should be called not so Smarty!)