Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,alt.architecture
Kris Krieger Kris Krieger is offline

Default Public Service Announcement Holmes on Homes

"Don" wrote in
:

"RicodJour" wrote
You may have seen the TV show Holmes on Homes. The lead joker knows
enough about construction to be dangerous. He purports to be some
sort of super contractor with extensive knowledge of construction,
yet makes plenty of mistakes of his own, confuses terminology
(hallmark of someone who read a book without understanding it) and
makes comments that are inane.

"We don't want to build to the minimum code. We want to build to the
medium code or even the maximum code." WTF? There is only one code.
It is the minimum acceptable construction. Referencing different
codes is at best misleading. Having a supposed expert spouting this
stuff is inexcusable.

If you are going to turn to TV for information on construction and
home improvement, stick with This Old House. They actually know what
they're talking about.

Sometimes, but even that is slipping it seems.
Caught a few mins of TOH late last night with that new guy and I had
to turn the channel.
It was embarrassing and this comes from a person that has watched that
show since the beginning.
Yes, he was a dick, but I'll take Vila over the noobs 8 days out of 7.

Ya know, with all the inherent *problems* that occur in construction,
and even more so with remodeling, it takes a special kind of idiot to
do a TV show about such things. Frankly, most people (homeowners)
don't want to know about such things and would be completely mortified
to know the real story behing their own remodeling projects. I
couldn't imagine putting myself in the position of explaining
unforeseeable negative circumstances on TV in front of gazillions of
people. Those that can, do. And those that can't, well if there are no
teaching positions available, they start a new TV show.

Well, I wouldn't mind doing a show, but OTOH, it's always been my
tendency to try to find out who knows what, and then tap into the
knowledge of whomever knows the most. A lot of poeple seem to have no
idea about the concept of "finding, evaluating, and using experts"...