Posted to alt.home.repair
GoHabsGo GoHabsGo is offline

Default Refinish Oak Table

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in
news:gbK4h.6591$Tz.3087@trndny01:

Is the table solid oak or veneer? If solid, you can sand it. If
veneer, you may end up sanding right through the veneer and ruining
the table. If that is the case, use a paint/lacquer remover.

The table is solid wood. What is the best way to sand it? Belt sander,
pad sander, manual. What grit works best.

You can finish it many different ways. Tung oil, Danish oil, Varnish
oil are all good looking, but not as waterproof as polyurethane.

If I did choose an oil finish, is it possible to go to poly finish later?

I'd put on a coat of poly, let it dry for a few day. Then I'd put on
a second coat and let it dry for two weeks (really, two weeks), then
sand it with 320 grit paper, then with 400 grit, then pumice, then
rottenstone. You end u p with a satin finish that is smooth, durable,
and does not look like plastic.

Thanks for the tips.

Larry