Posted to alt.home.repair
Rick F. Rick F. is offline

Default Air compressor recommendations?

In article , pe wrote:

Avoid Craftsman, buy a recognized brand name in the compressor business.
There are other things to consider. Noise.
What tools does he plan to operate. Is portability important or the amount
of space it takes.
The choices are MANY. You need to narrow down your son's needs.
I have a small noisy high output Eagle that meets all my needs perfectly.
I would have preferred a huge quiet beast standing in the corner....

I've got an older Craftsman that's about 10 years old and it is REALLY noisy --
I usually run it in the garage with the door CLOSED and a hose coming out from
under the garage door and use it outside where I can get away with no hearing
protection. We had a contractor come over to install some doors one time and
he had a really nice pancake style (twin smaller tanks) made by a company that
I no longer recall (but a very reputable company as I recall -- it just wasn't
one you would initially think about for other tools -- I believe they only made
compressors). Anyway, it was REALLY quiet and had enough power to use for
nail guns and what-not (which are not really demanding as something like an
air-ratchet or similar that uses constant air instead of a quick "puff" like a
nailer does). Sorry for being long winded..