Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.solar.thermal
[email protected] dold@XReXXsolar.usenet.us.com is offline

Default solar pool cover for kidney-shaped pool

In alt.solar.thermal wrote:
wrote:

They also gain solar heat, esp clear vs blue covers like the $75
No. 441428 14'x28' version from solarcovers.com (800) 433-4701.

Clear is better? Why are most of them blue then, just appearance?

But our pool is kidney-shaped, and it's not clear to me whether it
would be better to

(1) cut the cover to the shape of the pool, or

Cut it to fit the kidney. When you get ready to roll it up, flip the
excess part onto the main part, and roll. Don't drag it around the bulge,
and don't leave a big area of uncovered water.

I would definitely get a reel, if the cover is too large to handle easily
by yourself. Our 12x32 cover was a chore to take off and put on. It's no
big deal with the reel. We have one area that sticks out, and I just fold
that in before I reel it up.

(3) keep the cover rectangular, but cover all the water?

The extra solar collecting area will help by keeping the ground warmer.
You might buy 2 covers and cut the bottom one to fit the pool and pump
water up over that part and let it drain back into the pool during the day.

The portion of the cover that is not in contact with water would overheat
and ruin the bubbles.

--
---