Posted to alt.home.repair
Chris Lewis Chris Lewis is offline

Default "Federal Pacific" Breaker box

According to dpb :

FPE breakers. The replacements from Federal Pioneer in Canada have, to
the best of my knowledge, a UL or equivalent rating, whether that is
somehow based on previous qualification or were/are newly qualified
I've also not been able to resolve unambiguously.

I believe this is a fair summary of the issue:

The problem with Federal Pacific in the US is that of dual
20A breakers getting into a fail-to-trip mode and caused
major fires.

The lawsuits essentially bankrupted them. The remnants of the
company were bought out by Schneider Electric in Canada and sell
under the name Federal Pioneer. Schneider is a pretty well
respected company, and does a lot more than Federal Pioneer.

These breakers had to be certified by CSA (on the whole slightly
more stringent than UL) before sold in Canada - CSA or explicitly
named equivalent approval is a legal requirement here.

They're also certified by ULC (UL Canada), which is more or less
exactly equivalent to UL.

Approximately two years worth of Schneider-made Federal Pioneer
_single_ 15A breakers were recalled several years back.
[I _think_ this was Schneider-initiated.]

Manufacturing dates around 1998 if I recall correctly. The
inspect-ny (and Schneider's) web site has a copy of the recall notice.

As I understand, no fires/injuries have resulted from the defective
15A breakers, and there's no indication that Federal Pioneer
breakers/panels are a problem otherwise.

My experience (several full panels worth) has been that Federal
Pioneer breakers are just fine. That can't be said of
Square D Homeline (over the past 10 years, 3 of 4 Homeline
breakers in the pony panel under my cooktop have fried. We
hates them, we really do.).

If your Federal Pacific (US) _panel_ is in good shape, rather than
replacing it, I'd consider net/mail-ordering some replacement dual
20As from a Schneider distributor or retailer, and not worrying
about it anymore. Current Schneider production in 15A singles
is fine, and you can still get free replacements for the recalled
15A single breaker (tho, they're unlikely to be found in US
FP panels).

There are areas here where the electricians will use _only_
Federal Pioneer, and will even refuse to replace an existing
Federal Pioneer panel with something else, despite the money
they'd make.

[My SIL had an opportunity to swap out a panel essentially
free to her to use something else, but the electrician, a
good one, said "what the hell for? Nobody around here
uses anything else, and we never have any problems with
them.". Talked himself out of about $1200 ;-)]
--
Chris Lewis,