Posted to rec.woodworking
Michael Faurot Michael Faurot is offline

Default Shellac OVER Polyurethane (not under) - aka a flooring refinishing issue

spud wrote:

I've been searching online to see if anyone has used Shellac over
polyurethane and can't find any info. I am hoping we can just put on a
couple coats of Shellac without sanding, let it cure and then wax the
floors--any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I don't know if there's any issues with shellac being on top of
polyurethane, someone else with more finishing experience might be
able to answer that. When I have used shellac as a finish, my
experience has shown it's softer than polyurethane. So my inclination
would be that even if there's no issues with it being on top, it
would damage too easily to be used for flooring.

Maybe it would be possible to put on a few coats of shellac, and then
more polyurethane on top of that to fully protect it. But someone else
with more finishing experience would have to answer that one.

remove ".invalid".