Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal
Adam Adam is offline

Default Replacement windows in breach of conservation area rules

"Martin Pentreath" wrote in message
ups.com...
One of the houses on my street of victorian terraces has just been
"refurbished" which has included the replacement of wooden sash windows
with nasty plastic casement ones.

I think I'll contact the relevant department at the local council
tomorrow. Somehow I suspect they won't do very much. Even if they do
take an interest it would be very easy for the developer to say that
the windows have been in there for a while (the street was only
designated as a conservation area about five years ago). Anyone have
any experience of this type of thing?

I have to say I agree with other posters in that if this is the most
important thing you have to worry about, perhaps you should just crack open
a bottle of something cold and bubbly and celebrate the fact that you
clearly have a far less stressful life than 99.99% of the population, rather
than spend any time and effort on this.

Anyway, if, after pondering that for a while, you still think it's worth
getting involved, and if the council don't seem to be making much progress,
here's what you should do.

Write a letter to the owner of the nasty plastic windows on your council's
headed notepaper. Should be dead easy to forge if you have a letter from
them and a scanner. In the letter, explain that the nasty plastic windows
break the rules for the conservation area, and that the letter is
accompanying the initial enforcement procedure. If the windows are not
replaced with proper ones within 30 days, further enforcement procedures
will follow.

Then wrap the letter round a brick and throw it through the offending
windows.

Not only will this teach the owner of the windows a lesson, but I expect
he'll give someone at the council a pretty hard time as well. Maybe he'll
annoy the council so much that they will enforce the rules rigorously just
to spite him.

Just make sure no-one catches you!

Adam