Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan_Musicant Dan_Musicant is offline

Default DWV problem

I made an unsettling discovery a few weeks ago - my kitchen drain has
been totally disconnected from the sewer lateral for several years! I
called some companies and got a ballpark figure to do a trenchless sewer
line job and will get more estimates. The camera showed cracks and
partial breaks in the lateral, but it looks like the only complete
rupture is with the kitchen drain.

However, I plan to have my foundation replaced within the next 9 months
or so, and am thinking it might be better to do the sewer lines either
at the same time or after the foundation.

So, I'm wondering about making a temporary fix for the kitchen sink
(I've been washing my pots, pans and dishes in the bathroom).

The kitchen sink drain is galvanized (1.25", I assume) and the pipe as
it comes out of the wall on the outside is encased in concrete. It
simply terminates about 1 foot from an open terra cotta pipe that has a
wide bellshaped female end, that obviously accepts a male terra cotta
pipe. I figure I can make some kind of temporary connection of the
galvanized to this terra cotta. Whatever I use has to make some pretty
big bends (and be 12-15 inches or so long). I might have to get a hose
that fits inside the galvanized and then mate that somehow with the
terra cotta. Any ideas? Thanks!

Dan