Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan_Musicant Dan_Musicant is offline

Default Ants invade house again, this is war!

On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 06:07:00 GMT, "Jeff" wrote:

:go the boric acid route using corn syrup or peanut butter as bait. Ants are
:either sweet or protein loving. Home Depot sell boric acid for about $5 a
:lb, a lifetime supply. Takes about a week to do them in.

Thanks for the tips.

I believe I defeated a fledgling invasion of cockroaches some years ago
with a judicious application or boric acid powder in a small boombox in
the kitchen. I think they liked the heat coming from the transformer (it
was winter and quite cool in the house). I don't think I have any more
of the powder, though, so I'll check out HD.

It's been about 60 hours since I started feeding these ants the Victor
boric acid solution and there are very few ants showing an interest now.
It's down to a tiny trickle, whereas there were dozens and dozens
feeding within the first day, and I had to replenish the bait many
times. I'm hopeful that in a day or two I won't see any. However, I've
seen an occasional smaller ant on the floor, a sentry (probably) from
another species of ant, maybe a protein eater, is my thinking (because
the smaller ants I've seen don't much care for the boric acid solution).
I think I may chance leaving for Thanksgiving. The thought of coming
home to a kitchen teaming with thousands of ants spooks me, though.