Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] joshers17@hotmail.com is offline

Default Lawnmower Squeals

meant ROD bearing not rid bearing.....my bad

perhaps your overruning clutch could be dried out. A simpler thing to
do before replacing the rod bearing is to take your top cover off (
there should be a few 1/2 or 9/16 bolts holding it on. Once you lift
that up (if your motor is like the one i am thinking) you should see a
square oist sticking straight up. in the top of that should be a
little plug with a tiny hole in it. You can pull that plug and try
putting a few drops of oil in there and see if that helps. Sometimes
those do get a little dry and make a little noisem but squealing after
it "ramps up" makes it sound like it is out of oil or a bad bearing
IMHO.

Let me know

Josh

wrote:
If it sounds like it is siezing up it probbaly is. Have you checked or
changed the oil?

Also, the "thing on the top" is probably your pullcord and clutch
assembly. I dont think the overrunning clutch in there would squeal
though.

Most likely you have a rid bearing that is going/gone.

I have seen this a lot in older B&S motors. Its a cheap part and is
easy to replace if you know how.

Josh

Brian wrote:
My Briggs and Stratton 3.5 HP lawnmower squeals when I pull the cord
and start it. It will run fine for about 10 seconds until the engine
ramps up and there is a loud squeal coming from the part that rotates
when you pull the cord (Carburetor?) on the top of the engine. It
almost sounds like it is seizing up. Any clue what is causing this?