Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] roger61611@yahoo.com is offline

Default My First Renovation!

Greetings ! Sound like you plan to live in it from the start (?).
Someone I know gave me this order of battle - this is for a house that
is in very bad shape. The more strucutral stuff is listed first
because if it's needing repair, that repair should come before the
other.

1. Structural (foundation, sill, floor joists) - if sig problems exist
fix them before you move in !

2. Roof/gutters - if they're really bad. I saw a house once where the
owner, instead of fixing the roof, has fastened a giant tarp to the
walls that funneled the rainwater coming thru the ceiling down into a 5
gallon bucket.

3. Framing, subfloor, fix termite damage, etc

4. Mechanicals (Electrical, plumbing, HVAC) - these can be run now that
the framing is done.

5. Make available the equivalent of a working efficiency apartment -
get your kitchen, a bath, and a bedroom/den all working properly so you
have a functional place to live. This will also prevent divorce.

6. Move in

7. Finish the rest - paint, trim, carpet, tile, etc - at your leisure.