Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Do you also have a love/hate relationship with Amazon?

George wrote:
"dpb" wrote in message
oups.com...

I won't order anything through Amazon anymore that isn't
direct-from-Amazon and available for immediate shipment(which, of
course, means I'm not ordering much from them any longer). About all I
even look for there anymore is some bulk items like sander discs and
50-lb pneumatic nailer nails.

It's _all_ available for immediate shipment if you're willing to pay the
extortionate prices for "handling" it. Folks in the cheap seats always get
the warm beer, you ought to know that.

Well, that may be what the site says, experience says otherwise. At
least for me, an unfulfilled order after a wait of over a year doesn't
qualify as "immediate"....

As for shipping costs/delivery schedules, w/ Amazon that never seemed
to come into play in my experience under the original Amazon umbrella.
I've ordered a lot of stuff through them over the years and always
taken the ground/cheapest or "free" shipping and invariably products
were shipped in a timely manner until the rise of the associated
vendors. Being in an area where nearest air freight terminals are
still at least two delivery days away by ground by the time they're
handled, it simply never made sense to order stuff w/ expedited
shipping here.

What really killed my use of Amazon was the revamping of the site so
you never know with whom you are dealing until at checkout the products
you ordered might be supplied from a bunch of different vendors and all
have different delivery rules/rates/returns, etc. If I wanted to deal
w/ another vendor, I'd look for another vendor.

It had been some time, a look shows these particular knives listed now
as "In Stock" from another vendor I don't recognize. I suppose the
previous "supplier" went belly-up.