Posted to rec.woodworking
bf bf is offline

Default Do you also have a love/hate relationship with Amazon?

George wrote:

It's _all_ available for immediate shipment if you're willing to pay the
extortionate prices for "handling" it. Folks in the cheap seats always get
the warm beer, you ought to know that.

Have you ever tried paying the premium shipping and saw that it shipped
faster? I'm not doubting you, I just never tried it.
I could see them delaying the order 3-5 days if you get free shipping.
But 2 months?
Doesn't that just invite cancelations?

The router bits that took 12 weeks.. they kept stalling and stalling..
Luckily I was ordering them for a project I hadn't started.. I had a
couple other things in the queue ahead of it. Even when they arrived, I
wasn't ready to start it yet.

Amazon is ok for stuff you are willing to wait a couple months for, but
if I end up going to the local store before they ship, I'm canceling my
order before I leave and getting the casters there.

Another thing I noticed is that the big items no longer have free
shipping. I almost ordered a Jet Disk sander.. but the $99 shipping
surcharge kills it. LOL. I noticed they were adding that $99 to things
like dust collectors, etc. It doesn't seem like they want to be in the
business of selling "big" items anymore.. After all, Amazon is the
walmart of internet shopping. People go there for the price, they sure
don't go there for the customer service, IMO.