Posted to rec.woodworking
MikeG MikeG is offline

Default Unusual experience in my workshop

"Mekon" wrote in message
I walked in today after coming back from a New Zealand holiday and saw my
TS
and felt a little nervous. The last time I used it I cut 2 fingers and
gouged a hole in my thumbprint. I think I came close to losing my left
finger, a few mil to the right and I would have.
I know what I did wrong, I know how to avoid it happening again, I know I
will be more careful, and yet still I am a bit anxious. Could I be losing
my
nerve? Will I get over it?

Mekon

About 6 years ago, I lost about 1/2 inch of my left index and middle fingers
to a tablesaw after I turned the saw off, but did not wait until the blade
stopped before doing something dumb. I forced myself to start using the saw
again while my hand was still bandaged. It weasn't easy to do, but I felt
it was necessary. In the beginning I often had flashbacks of the incident
at almost anytime. The flashbacks became less and less frequent over time,
and now after 6 years I only have flashbacks about once every 3 or 4 months.
I'm hoping to be totally rid of them soon. I am a LOT more careful now,
and have a much greater respect for all sharp spinning things.

You will get over it (if you have the desire to do so).

MikeG