Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal
Christian McArdle Christian McArdle is offline

Default Replacement windows in breach of conservation area rules

There is a difference. Murdering someone is directly affecting them.
Choosing unslightly ( your view) windows is not.

It does directly affect you, but nowhere near as much.

How far should you take it? I happen to think that fiat motor-cars are
very ugly. If I lived near you should I be able to tell you not to buy
one and place it on your property? How about if I didn't like the
look for your partner? Should they be banned from the area to save my
distress from looking at them.

It goes as far as society deems to be acceptable. There are no hard lines
drawn here. Society has decreed that it goes far enough for some
particularly good looking period areas to be designated conservation areas
and be protected. However, society has clearly decided not to ban the use of
Fiats. And if you'd met my partner, you'll realise that she wouldn't be
banned from anywhere for bad looks!

Excellent. Then I won't be afflicted by your appalling taste.

Either you are a troll or one of the biggest snobs I have ever
encountered.

No, I just don't like uPVC windows on period properties for which they are
inappropriate.

They might evey his being able to afford them - not saying it applies to
you, but it often does to these petty people (not you). It's similar to
people saying I wouldn't want a big house/ Rolls Royce when they can't
afford one but want to pull another (wo)man's achievements down.

Hardly. Decent sliding wooden sashes are more expensive than plastic
windows. I am more likely to be in a position of having plastic windows and
not being able to afford the wooden ones. In fact, that is exactly my
position.

Fair enough. If you don't like the things you shouldn't have to have
them. But how would you like it if your neighbours told you to install
nasty plastic ones against your will.

If I lived on an estate where my non-plastic windows were incongruous, I
would think that they had a point. I think that my previous house (1986)
would have looked ridiculous with sliding wooden sashes, just like a
Victorian terrace looks ridiculous with plastic, or an Art Deco mansion flat
looks ridiculous in anything other than Crittalls (which are now available
in modern double glazed replacement form).

Not what I've found. When we had wooden frames thy need painting every
few years and even then rot was a problem.

This does vary according to the quality of wood, paint and preparation. The
remaining windows in my house are just coming up for their 100th birthday.
They are a good two decades overdue for a painting (which I hope to do next
year), but still totally sound in themselves. They do need re-cording and
replacement fittings, though. An ancient brass fitch plate entirely snapped
in two this week, so I've been nosing around www.mighton.co.uk.

Christian.