Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal
Christian McArdle Christian McArdle is offline

Default Replacement windows in breach of conservation area rules

So don't buy a Victorian house, then. Simple job solved. Will everyone
who hates wooden windows please **** out of the conservation areas or
just lump it?

Why? They might like the rest of the place, or it might be will situated
for their needs but they don't want to be living in the past. Wooden
windows belong in the past.

Why? Because the majority of the residents say so. Society says you can't go
round murdering people. Society also says that in conservation areas, you
can't have uPVC windows. If you don't like society, live on a desert island.
The fact is that conservation areas are created because the residents of
these areas want their area to look good. They can help ensure this by
accepting planning restrictions in return for banning tasteless individuals
installing inappropriate improvements. Even better, it discourages them from
owning such fine properties to wreck in the first place.

So they are filled with snobs? I wouldn't want to live amongst such
snobs.

Excellent. Then I won't be afflicted by your appalling taste.

You might also find out that depite his lov for PVC windows he's richer
than you?

Almost certainly, I certainly wouldn't regard myself as rich. We're probably
the poorest people on the street.

Perhaps it's envy that drives people to behave like this.

"Envy" is always the last claim of people without taste or refinement. I DO
NOT envy wanky manky plastic windows. They are the spawn of satan in period
properties.

They see someone who can afford to install modern windows when they
can't so they make something up.

I've just installed a couple of sliding wooden sashes. They cost 3 times as
much as manky plastic windows. Unfortunately, a previous owner has fitted
manky plastic windows in our house. We are gradually going around fixing up
the remaining original windows and replacing the manky plastic as funds
allow.

Plastic windows are cheap **** and need just as much maintenance as wooden
ones. OK wooden ones need repainting every 7 years. Plastic ones need
wholesale replacement every 15, if you're lucky.

Christian.