Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Do you also have a love/hate relationship with Amazon?

George Max wrote:
On 8 Nov 2006 12:29:51 -0800, "bf" wrote:

.... After waiting 12 weeks to get some Freudrouter bits ...

You waited 12 weeks for router bits? ...

Seems like Freud stuff is nearly unobtainium from whoever the
supplier(s?) are. I had a set of replacement planer knives on order
for over a year, approaching 18 months and they never showed up...Every
two weeks a "Sorry, 2-week delay, do you still want them?" e-mail would
show up and every two weeks I would reply "Yes", and they would send a
new confirmation shipping date two weeks hence. I had decided to see
how long it would go on before (or if) anything would ever trigger a
human interface to happen, but I was out of town and missed the "reply
by" date on one notice and it killed the order. Otherwise, I suppose I
would still have an outstanding order nearly three years later now, if
not and I had kept up the responses. Last I looked they had the same
product still listed at a favorable price with the 2-3 day delivery
expected notice. I came to the conclusion that at least a lot of Freud
stuff is "loss leader" stuff and not actual merchandise legitimately
offered.

I won't order anything through Amazon anymore that isn't
direct-from-Amazon and available for immediate shipment(which, of
course, means I'm not ordering much from them any longer). About all I
even look for there anymore is some bulk items like sander discs and
50-lb pneumatic nailer nails.