Posted to rec.woodworking
bf bf is offline

Default Recommendation: Porter Cable or Dewalt biscuit joiner

maico wrote:

As I had mentioned in the thread above, I have already purchased the
Dewalt DW682K biscuit joiner but now I question whether I should have
bought the Porter Cable 557. I can still return the Dewalt as I have
yet to use it.

In that case, return the Dewalt. I have the PC, it's a great machine.
The Dewalt is probably a good machine as well. If you think you might
use the face frame biscuits, then it's worth the extra $50 or whatever
to get the PC (It's been a long time, so I don't know). Plus, it seems
like you will be happier with the PC.

I just saw the PC on sale at Home Depot. I assume it's the same model.

I must say though, I haven't used the face frame biscuits that much. On
a few small things.
If you are going to make a lot of face frames, get a kreg jig, along
with this clamp.. http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/12282 .. Then
use a clamp like a Bessey K-body to clamp the the face frame "T" shape
(the wood) to the face frame clamp. That lines up the pieces in that
dimension (basically the alignment that a biscuit would give you).
Sorry if that is not clear, I can explain better if need be.