Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] fredfighter@spamcop.net is offline

Default Refurbishing old hand tools - follow up - How I did it

lid wrote:
Start with these-
http://www.bhi.co.uk/hints/rust.htm
http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/ru..._derusting.htm
http://www3.telus.net/public/aschoep...lyticrust.html
http://www.davidbradley.net/ERR.html
http://www.instructables.com/id/E17U...2A5Z/?ALLSTEPS

I cut two pieces of rebar about 4 inches longer than the bucket is deep and drilled a hole through one end of each.
Filed, wire brushed, sanded, green padded the rust that would come off of them - 2 minutes max. total.

The rebar gets corroded by the derusting process anyhow
so you can skip that step. You can also use the electrolytic
process itself to derust your sacrificial electrodes if you want.

Had not found the recommended sodium carbonate
in store during last visit,

It is ususally in with the laundry detergents.

10 minutes later I wiped the scum off the parts and stuck them back in, other end up. 10 more minutes in the bath, then a clean water rinse (you have to get the electrolyte off of them), wipe dry, and light oil (parts will flash rust if not treated upon removal). Looked new, with a couple of small pits.

I typically scrub the parts with a brass pot brush
(found in the housewares section of the supermarket
under running water and a little soap helps too.

Then I pop it into the oven at about 150 F or hit it with a hair drier.
That post-derusting heating is essential for handsaws and other
steel in the same hardness range. The electrolytic process drives
hydrogen into the metal (hydrogen embrittlement) so the part
will be prone to stress cracking unles sit is driven back out.

Then I typically slather Johnson's paste wax on it while it
is still warm.

Now I keep searching for things to put in, ..

No kidding.

Good thing I don't have a swimming pool, I might
be tempted to drive a rusty old van into it and dim
the neightborhood lights.

--

FF