Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Andy is offline

Default Replacement windows in breach of conservation area rules

"Phil L" wrote in message
news
Martin Pentreath wrote:
Peter Crosland wrote:

The glass will have date codes so the council will be able to check.
If the fail to act then report them to the Local government
ombudsman.

Thanks Peter, didn't know about date codes, a veritable busybodies
charter!

Hi again Grunff, good thing we're not neighbours, eh? ;-)

Before you embark on your latest quest, be aware that he has full access
to all complaints, IE he can (and probably will) go to the council and
will be shown letters, transcripts of phone calls and meetings, and any
other official complaints made against him by you or anyone else...be also
aware that he can do a lot more than replace a few windows to make your
house price tumble and lower the general tone of the 'hood.....letting the
house to a load of pikeys or painting it vivid pink springs to mind and
this is if he's reasonable, if he's not, you might have to replace your
own windows too.

I agree with you too Martin, what's the point in having a conservation area
that can't be conserved? If your neighbour hadn't broke the ruling that
applied to his house in his full knowledge you wouldn't be in this position.

I'm doing what I can in my road ( non-conservation area ) to retain old
features and keep new stuff in sympathy, but most people just replace old
curved/carved wooden bits with straight/plain upvc. Total charisma bypass
results.

I have no recourse in these circumstances to get people to do a better job,
but I knew that when I moved in, I just watch the upvc creep and bite my
lip, but then I and they don't live in a conservation area. If I did I'd
have had the ******* who knocked down a great lump of ancient devon hedge
just so he didn't have to aim his car particularly well when entering or
leaving his front garden.

I have got a buddy at the end of the road though, he's converted his
bungalow to have attic rooms and instead of doing what everyone else does
and having a portacabin planted on his roof, he's done a very good-looking
tiled, pitched roof with several dormer windows.

Andy.