Gary Coffman

Default Bridgeport on Wheels

On 25 Jan 2004 11:08:01 -0800, (bryanwi) wrote:
OK, ignorant questions.

What's a "portapower" - surely you don't mean a vacuum cleaner?
(Though a very clean machine is surely easier to move...)

A Portapower(tm) is a hydraulic jack with the pump and reservoir
separated from the ram(s) by a length of hydraulic hose. There are
multiple ram heads, spreader foot, short ram, pull back ram, etc,
which can be attached to the hose with quick connect fittings for
various tasks, and a number of extension tubes which can be
screwed onto the rams to give various heights/lengths. It is
a *very* handy tool for lifting, pushing, or pulling in tight quarters.

The two common sizes are 4 ton and 10 ton. I have a 10 ton model.
They're fairly expensive if bought from Portapower (the US company
which invented them), but there are now many Chinese clones
available inexpensively. Harbor Freight is one US source. I bought
my 10 ton from them, $98 in store special.

Gary