Brian Lawson

Default OT Help!! Drywall problem

Hey Tom,

'Nother good one. Lots of tips. Thank you too.

Brian
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
On 26 Jan 2004 15:13:52 -0800, (Tom Kendrick)
wrote:

In order for the result to be flat,

1. Remove metal corner bead which is vertical;
2. Ensure that the added 3' of framing lines up with existing framing
-
otherwise there will be a high or low ridge at the boundary;
3. Shave down the drywall after the corner bead is removed - there may
be mud build-up prior to the corner.
4. Tack up a strip of drywall on the last new stud (the new corner).
Using a drywall square or a string line (no chalk) span the old joint
to see how far into the old work sanding/shaving must occur in order
to make it look like one original wall.
5. After mudding/taping/sanding the joint, shine a flashlight down the
wall at night. I have found ocean waves under such examination.

Dust everywhere,
Tom

Brian Lawson wrote in message . ..

To create some additional closet space, I want to extend a wall in my
back hallway about 3 feet along an easily viewed path. I want to make
it longer from an "outside" corner, and that existing corner has a
nice metal bead.

My question is: Should I remove that existing corner-bead so I can
get at the actual "edge" of the existing drywall for the mud and new
tape, or should I hope to just tape over the existing corner-bead to
the new portion of the wall extension?