Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

Default Electric Co. backs down

sherwindu wrote:
I recently put in a claim to ComEd here in a suburb of Chicago for a burnt out
stove electric starter. It was working fine up to a short power outage and
failed
immediately afterwards costing me about $150 to repair. They claim there was
no negligence on their part and denied payment. We have had more than our share

of power outages in my immediate area, and this one happened on a clear weather
night with no high winds. I have put power surge protectors on most of my
electronics
but failed to cover my stove. I'm not sure it even would have helped, but I
shouldn't
have to put protectors on every outlet in my home. I think they owe me.

Power-ons are often accompanied by surges, even if there wasn't a surge
that knocked the power off in the first place. Not sure how igniters
are wired, in terms of what happens when they are off, but they do seem
to die easily, which could count either for your case or against it.