Posted to rec.woodworking
A Lurker A Lurker is offline

Default Recommendation: Porter Cable or Dewalt biscuit joiner

"Swingman" wrote in
:

"Charlie M. 1958" wrote in message

As I said in my reply to another post in this thread, I recently
purchased the Dewalt. Since it is my first biscuit joiner, my opinion
might not carry much weight, But I can tell you, from a rookie's
standpoint, I can't imagine it being any simpler to use or doing a
better job. In other words, I'm a fool and it appears relatively
foolproof. (And $100 cheaper than the PC)

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the DeWalt. The PC, with it's
smaller FF biscuit capability, is just a tad more versatile when/if
you need that capability.

snip
If you don't need that capability, the DeWalt will certainly serve you
well, and you can buy some wood with the leftover $$

I have the Dewalt and it is fine. If I had it to over again I'd probably
get the PC, but I solved the face frame biscuit issue another way, which
may be better. I bought a biscuit slot cutter set (either Infinity or
Whiteside - I buy which ever is an sale at the moment). Drop that in the
router table with a larger bearing on top and you have FF size slots for
the 2" face frames when you use them on smaller projects. Since the PC
requires that you change cutters to do the smaller FF biscuits, I'm not
sure there is any difference in set up time. The slot cutter set is about
$50 so you're still ahead $50 in the cost differential between Dewalt and
PC.

Only real downside to the Dewalt is the little dust bag clogs real easy.
I just leave it off and try to aim the waste stream at a backstop to keep
it from going all over the shop.

Jerry