Posted to rec.woodworking
Wes Stewart Wes Stewart is offline

Default Recommendation: Porter Cable or Dewalt biscuit joiner

On Wed, 08 Nov 2006 08:16:59 -0600, "Charlie M. 1958"
wrote:

Dave Hall wrote:

To piggyback on this thread, I see that many recommend the PC 557 and
most relate the choice to the FF capability. I already have a Ryobi
detail biscuit joiner which works well for me for smaller jobs (like
face frames, picture frames and thin boxes) but I have a real POS old
full size joiner that I would like to replace. Which joiner would you
choose if the FF capability had minimal value to you (yeah it would
have some value, but I can certainly live without it and even if I had
it would probably just pick up the detail joiner rather than fool
around changing blades on the PC). Is the PC still the choice
(assuming I want to stay out of debt for this purchase and so won't be
looking at a Lamello)?

Thanks.

Dave Hall

As I said in my reply to another post in this thread, I recently
purchased the Dewalt. Since it is my first biscuit joiner, my opinion
might not carry much weight, But I can tell you, from a rookie's
standpoint, I can't imagine it being any simpler to use or doing a
better job. In other words, I'm a fool and it appears relatively
foolproof. (And $100 cheaper than the PC)

I've had the DeWalt for a long time, so I'm sure I'm prejudiced.

Buy the DeWalt and take the money saved and get a Kreg jig for pocket
screws for the FF work.