Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Hall Dave Hall is offline

Default Recommendation: Porter Cable or Dewalt biscuit joiner

On 7 Nov 2006 17:58:20 -0800, "maico" wrote:

After dragging you all through the coals regarding the best biscuits, I
am now working backwards to the best biscuit joiner! See the following
thread on biscuits:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.w...35f61f72a106/#

As I had mentioned in the thread above, I have already purchased the
Dewalt DW682K biscuit joiner but now I question whether I should have
bought the Porter Cable 557. I can still return the Dewalt as I have
yet to use it. The one feature I really need is face frame biscuits
which can be readily accomplished with the PC but not the DW. Also,
there seems to be an issue of small wood components (to be joined)
falling into the fence of the BJ and that PC has addressed this with an
insert; is this true?

I am looking for your opinion(s) on these two tools.

I look forward to your responses.

To piggyback on this thread, I see that many recommend the PC 557 and
most relate the choice to the FF capability. I already have a Ryobi
detail biscuit joiner which works well for me for smaller jobs (like
face frames, picture frames and thin boxes) but I have a real POS old
full size joiner that I would like to replace. Which joiner would you
choose if the FF capability had minimal value to you (yeah it would
have some value, but I can certainly live without it and even if I had
it would probably just pick up the detail joiner rather than fool
around changing blades on the PC). Is the PC still the choice
(assuming I want to stay out of debt for this purchase and so won't be
looking at a Lamello)?

Thanks.

Dave Hall