Posted to misc.consumers.house
[email protected] mgkelson@yahoo.com is offline

Default Fill your tool kit for less than $200--The essentials for any home

I was about 50 years old before I stumbled across the best way to
manage my tools. First of all, I believe you should have a separate
tool box inside your house, in one of your closets, for instance. The
best type of box for this purpose is a very large fishing box--try to
get one of these on a closeout sale after fishing season is over. The
tools in this box will be used for computer repairs, assembling
Christmas toys and hanging things on the walls, etc. These can be very
cheap tools, bought from Harbor Freight, for example. Then as time goes
by, if you find you need better ones, you can upgrade later.

Then in your garage or shed you need some additional separate tool
boxes. Fishing boxes work good for these also. I have one separate box
just for electrical wiring work and I have another one that contains
only plumbing parts and tools, for example. Then, of course, I have a
separate box for auto-mechanic tools.

I obviously have a lot of duplicates by using separate tool boxes, but
hand tools are relatively cheap nowdays. I tend to buy very high
quality power tools, but tend to compromise on other types of tools
depending on how often I use them and whether I run into problems with
the cheaper ones.