ATP

Default OT Help!! Drywall problem

Brian Lawson wrote:
Hey Guys,

Me again. Need more help. Doing some interior changes inside the new
house.

To create some additional closet space, I want to extend a wall in my
back hallway about 3 feet along an easily viewed path. I want to make
it longer from an "outside" corner, and that existing corner has a
nice metal bead.

My question is: Should I remove that existing corner-bead so I can
get at the actual "edge" of the existing drywall for the mud and new
tape, or should I hope to just tape over the existing corner-bead to
the new portion of the wall extension? I want the extended wall to
be "flat" from end-to-end. I suspect that I should remove the
beading, but I don't want to damage the ceiling where it joins if I
don't need to.

If I should rip out the old corner-bead, I should do that before I
frame the extension, because then the beading will be "trapped" and
impossible to get out..

All comments and suggestions welcome, but ASAP please, because SWMBO
says I'm just dinking around here trying to get out of doing it. and
we all, know THAT'S not true, eh!

Thanks! Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.

If you look carefully at the corner or hold a straightedge against it, you
will notice it is flared out, that is the corner is a bit proud WRT the rest
of the wall. If you don't take the cornerbead out it will be obvious when
you look down that wall. I would go even further and take the sheetrock out
a stud bay or two beyond the corner. Also, nailing a new stud up against
existing sheetrock/corner bead is not the best practice, better to nail wood
against wood with no sheetrock between them.