Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Sharrock Brian Sharrock is offline

Default Removing standing water from a sub-floor

"John Laird" wrote in message
oups.com...
The Medway Handyman wrote:
John Laird wrote:
I have a modest amount of standing water in the sub-floor of my humble
abode, which I would like to get rid of before I go crawling about,
endeavouring to find where it has got in. Having wasted lots of time
with Google, I've not really found any simple, inexpensive, pumps that
would do the job, so does anyone have any clever ideas ?

The water is maybe 1" deep at its worst, and as far as I can tell,
most submersible pumps will struggle to get down to half that before
cutting out. I found a "puddle-sucker" on one or two sites, which
will go down to a few mm, but at a price. (£100+)

Hire a wet vac with an internal sub pump like this;
http://www.hss.com/g/58231/Auto_Pump_Wet_Vacuum.html

Noted, thanks.

[It might be a bit of a struggle getting something that size into the
sub-floor void, mind you.]

Water pooling in a void is (usually) a sign that the drainage of the ground
surrounding your house is inadequate. The water is probably pooling in a
hollow below grade. Inspect your properties _exterior_ . Is there land
(lawn, garden, patio .... ) that is higher than your house's grade? Unless
properly drained with 'weep holes' leading to a drain/sump; such land will
act as a sponge and rain water will seep from it (under gravity) and gather
in any hollow - perhaps in the void under your floors! If this is the case
then a pump will be on a hiding to nothing because as you pump it out water
will seep back!
On the other hand; you may have a leaking pipe .....

--

Brian