Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub HeyBub is offline

Default "Federal Pacific" Breaker box

wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks Nate...that makes perfect sense. 200 amp it is. Have an
electrician coming out soon... he's a friend of a friend and is highly
recommended. I'm stopping by walmart on the way home for a fire
extinguisher, good to have around regardless of my service panel. ;-)

How can I tell if mine is a "stab-loc" type? From what I've read,
it's best to replace it no matter what kind it is, but stab-loc's are
the electrical version of napalm.

Also, has anyone had this type of work done? How much should I expect
to pay? I'd hate to pay too much just because I didn't want to wait an
extra few days for a better quote.

You will pay $800 to $1400 depending on labor costs in your neighborhood,
inspection fees, and cost of permits. The parts cost the same: ~$250 retail
for the basic "kit" (200-amp box plus an assortment of 16 or so common
breakers). You can price the "kit" at HD or Loews.

My son and I replaced a 200-amp service at my place and, a week later,
repeated the process at his home.

We were quoted $1200 (each) by a commercial electrical contractor. In our
jurisdiction (Houston) neither a permit nor inspection is required, so we
were able to save about $900 apiece by spending Saturday afternoon on the
project. [In addition to the "kit" expense, there's always something piddly
that the contractor will have on his truck: a bit of wire, a funny coupling,
an extra ground lug, something.]

It takes two people about five hours to do the job.