Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Coping a crown molding with a dentil profile

Perry Templeton wrote:
I want to install a crown molding that has a dentil detail. I'm comfortable
with coping the typical crown molding that has the popular ogee type
profile.
To cope this molding with the square detail of the dentil detail, do I
follow the cut edge with my coping saw just as I would for the rounded
common molding.
I'd rather not capitulate and install the corner blocks unless I have to.
I'd like to install the crown with the dentil and cope it and make it look
nice and solid and professional.
Any tips will be appreciated...
Thanks.
Perry

Go ahead and cope it like usual. Depending on where you land on either
piece/side of the dentil though, you may have voids if you don't match
carefully. The space between the dentils themselves can be a real
pain. When I have to install this type of molding, I have always found
it prone to tearout and breakage on the smaller, finer profiles. Cut
your joints as closely as possible without tearout, then wrap a square
stick of wood (3/8" or so) very tightly with 120 - 150 grit sandpaper.
Final fit by carefully by using this stick to sand off excess amounts
of wood. With the stick (and a tight wrap) you will be surprised how
much material you can take off quickly, and how straight you can sand
those joints.

Robert