Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop Dave Fawthrop is offline

Default Rechargeable Batteries

On Tue, 7 Nov 2006 21:49:35 GMT, Guy King wrote:

|The message
|from Chris Hodges contains these words:
|
| Since you can get 4xAA for ?2 from Aldi (and they're OK - I've had loads
| and never a dud or low-capacity) why bother?
|

| I don't put stupidly cheap batteries in expensive kit in case they leak.
|

| I've got a dozen of them and despite abuse by the kids none have leaked
| in the year or two I've had 'em.
|
| I've had some leak in the packaging and some leak in a torch - 2
| different pound shop packs.
|
|Are we still talking NiMHs here, or primary cells? I'd not use cheapie
|primary cells for anything.

I use cheapie Lidl Alkaline cells for low current uses where I expect them
to last for months or even years. Smoke detectors, IR TV hoofadoofas and
the like, also cheapie Lidl torches which I leave around and expect them to
work when picked up after years sitting unused. NiMHs self discharge
much faster and need recharging regularly. NiMhs are fine for regularly
used torches cameras, GPSs and other high current uses.